This is Why You Should Never Throw Away Orange Peels
Orange is good for your health, both the color and the fruit. We’ll focus on the latter today.
After we’re done eating, most of us throw the peels away. But even the remainder is rich in nutrients like Vitamin A, B, C, calcium, magnesium, etc. The peel has more phytonutrients and flavonoids than the inner pulp. By not using them properly we miss out on an easy way to brighten your skin. Shred them and use while cooking, if you don’t want any hassle. For others, here are the benefits of using orange peel along with directions on how to use it.
Improves Skin Tone
Skin marks and dark spots can be reduced with orange peels. They work as a natural bleach that helps your skin tone. The vitamin C present keeps your skin supple and glowing. It even guards the skin against harmful ultraviolet (UV) sun rays. Here’s how to use it:
- Make a paste by mixing together two teaspoons each of orange peel powder and plain yogurt, along with one teaspoon of honey.
- Put this mask on your face and neck, while gently rubbing it in a circular motion.
- Let it sit for about 20 minutes and then wash it off with warm water.
- Use this face mask 2 or 3 times a week.
To make orange peel powder, dry the peels in the sun for about three days.
Fights Aging Signs
The strong antioxidants in orange peels fight off free radicals. These free radicals harm healthy skin cells, which makes skin your skin prone to wrinkles, fine lines and sagging, basically expediting your skin aging process. Orange peel while fighting these will also act as a skin toner, because of their astringent properties. To fight off aging, follow these steps:
- Mix one tablespoon each of orange peel powder and oatmeal powder with adequate honey and makes it into a paste.
- Put this paste on your face and neck area.
- Let it sit for 30 minutes, then wash it off with cold water.
- Use this anti-aging cream once a week for desired results.
Fresh orange peels can take away the yellow texture that your teeth build over time. The peel has a compound called d-limonene that helps lessen teeth- staining, especially smoking stains.
Rub the inside of an orange peel (the white part) over your teeth for 2 to 3 minutes, and then wash your teeth with warm water. Do this two times a day and you’ll soon notice more grace to your beautiful smile.
Aids Weight Loss
Orange peels can help you lose weight. Many nutritional parts of oranges are found in the peel, especially vitamin C. Use orange peel tea in your weight- loss diet, instead of coffee and sodas.
To make this tea:
- Dry the peels from a few oranges in a cool, dry place.
- Put one tablespoon of the dried peels in one cup of hot water.
- Cover and let it sit for ten minutes.
- Take out the peels and add a little raw honey.
- Drink two cups of this herbal tea every day.
Note: Make sure you use the peels from organic oranges and wash them well before you dry them out.
Regulates Bowel Movements
Orange peels even boost digestion. The high level of dietary fiber helps to control bowel movements, which stops constipation. They also help treat some digestive disorders, like indigestion, gas, irritable bowel syndrome, and heartburn.
After eating a meal, drink a cup of orange peel tea (as described in the previous step) to boost digestion.